CV/Profile: View PDF of CV
Lesley Kaiser is an artist/designer who works as a senior lecturer at AUT University in Communication Design. She has exhibited in a number of sites, e.g. TV, newspapers, electronic signs and supermarket rollouts, as well as gallery exhibitions. Her latest internationally exhibited work, ‘As it is now’ in the Animacall Animation Project 2011 at The Contemporary Art Center of Thessaloniki ¬– part of the State Museum of Contemporary Art. Recent publications include: a poster for the HERDSA (2013) conference, and ‘A Picture/A thousand words’ in Ka mate ka ora: a new zealand journal of poetry and poetics #7. (2009). Lesley Kaiser’s solo exhibition Preserve, Renew, Invent [Light Bytes], (2008), at MIC Toi Rerehiko (Media and Interdisciplinary Arts Centre), Auckland, NZ, was part of an on-going local and international project that involves disseminating and archiving philosophical texts in a range of public sites and media. A related paper, Preserve, Renew, Invent [Light Bytes]: The aphorism and the future of the book, was published in the International Journal of the Book, Volume 5, Issue 2. pp.125–132.
Current research interests include the future of the book, multimodal books, eBooks, and iPads/iPhones in tertiary education. See http://www.lesleykaiser.wordpress.com for visual slideshow summary of a 2012 multimodal book project set in first year Graphics, and a conference poster in HERDSA 2013, which summarises the research.
Group exhibitions include:
- Marker at Wintec’s RAMP gallery (May/June 2012)
- OUTVIDEO 07 (30-second video animations were shown in the night programme on 39 screens in 16 Russian cities);
- Antipodes, LA VINGT-SEPT Gallery, Marc Bloch University Strasbourg, France (2006);
- Art Now: The First Biennial Review of Contemporary Art at the Museum of New Zealand (1994).
Publications, often in collaboration with John Barnett, include:
- The Naughty Nineties: A Pop-Up Book (International best-seller. First edition 1982);
- The Penguin Book of NZ Jokes (1996) and Shark-infested Custard: A Kiwi Kids Joke Book (1997);
- a number of one-off, or small edition, artists’ books, e.g. Where We Are Now (1994), Post Art (1994), The River Sticks (1994), and Like Wrecks of a Dissolving Dream (1993).
Senior Lecturer, School of Art and Design, AUT University. Communication Design and Postgraduate Studies.
Lesley Kaiser completed her BA (in English and Philosophy) at Victoria University of Wellington before gaining her Diploma of Teaching at Secondary Teachers College, Auckland. She then went on to further study at Elam School of Fine Arts, University of Auckland, and postgraduate study at AUT University in Art & Design.
Address: AUT University, School of Art and Design, Faculty of Design and Creative Technologies, Private Bag 92006, Auckland 1142, New Zealand.
Phone: (Work) +64 – 9 – 921 9999 ext 8796.
Fax: +64 – 9 – 921 9916
Selected Awards and Grants
- 2013 Vice Chancellor’s Academic Excellence Award for Teaching in 2013. This award recognizes the outstanding contribution made to learning and teaching at AUT University.
- 2013 Faculty of Design and Creative Technologies Award for Excellence in Learning and Teaching in recognition of the commitment to your discipline and your students and also acknowledge your nomination for a Vice Chancellor’s teaching and excellence award.
- 2013 AUT Learning and Teaching Development Latent Fund Grant of $4,000 towards implementing an eBook elective for BDes Graphics (Adobe DPS publishing elective) in second year BDes Graphics. Also to train potential DPS LATTe’s in the use of AUT Publishing license for digital publications.
- 2012 AUT Learning and Teaching Development Latent Fund Grant. $10,000 was awarded to a project on ‘Graphic Design and 21st Century Bookworks’. The grant was used to purchase iPads for a group of Graphic Design staff under Lesley Kaiser’s leadership.
- 2011 AUT University A+D Established Career Researcher Award Commendation AUT School of Art and Design Research Grant to travel to Greece for work in the Animacall exhibition at The Contemporary Art Gallery of Thessalonoiki, Greece.
- 2008 A finalist and runner-up for the International Award for Excellence for papers in the International Journal of the Book. URL: http://ijb.cgpublisher.com/diary/110 Download at http://ijb.cgpublisher.com/product/pub.27/prod.226
- 2007 AUT School of Art and Design Research Grant to travel to Madrid, Spain, to present a paper at The International Conference on the Book. Research Excellence Scholarship (Art & Design). AUT University.
- 1999 AUT School of Art and Design Research Grant to assist with catalogue for an exhibition at Gregory Flint Gallery (with John Barnett).
- 1993 QEII Arts Council grant (Visual Arts Commissioning Scheme) to assist with completion of several projects (with John Barnett).
- 1992 QEII Arts Council grant to assist with an exhibition at Gregory Flint Gallery (with John Barnett).
- 1991 Received QEII Arts Council grant to assist with solo exhibition at Artspace, the George Fraser Gallery.